Planning and Development

We work with the seven member municipalities in Northumberland, the Government of Ontario and local residents and businesses to grow communities and protect resources in Northumberland.

Development applications

Contact us if you need to apply for a development application.

County Official Plan amendment

Amendments to the Official Plan are required when a new development does not satisfy the intended land use categories or policies in the plan.

Applying for a County Official Plan amendment

The Planning Act prevents certain land use categories and policies from being amended. Contact our Land Use Planning team to find out if you are eligible to submit a County Official Plan amendment. We require a pre-consultation meeting before consideration.

Application fee and deposit

  • Fee: $3,000
  • Deposit: $5,000

Municipal Official Plan amendment

Our seven member municipalities have Official Plans that detail land use categories and establish local policies to manage growth and development.

Applying for a municipal official plan amendment

If you need a municipal Official Plan amendment, please contact the appropriate municipality. We are required to approve some municipal Official Plan amendments.

Review and approval fees

  • Review: $1,000
  • Approval: $1,000

Subdivision plans

A subdivision plan is required to divide land into lots and blocks for development and often involves the creation of public streets and infrastructure.

Located in Brighton, Cobourg, Port Hope or Trent Hills?

Please contact the appropriate member municipality for a subdivision application if your property is located within Brighton, Cobourg, Port Hope or Trent Hills.

Located in Alnwick/Haldimand, Cramahe or Hamilton?

Please contact us if your property is located within Alnwick/Haldimand, Cramahe or Hamilton.

Subdivision Application Form

You can use our Subdivision Application Form to apply.

Application fee and deposit

  • Fee: $4,000
  • Deposit: $5,000

Land severance and consent

Consent is required if you want to do any of the following:

  • Sever a lot (lot creation)
  • Add land to a neighbouring property (lot addition)
  • Establish a right to use another property (easement)
  • Establish permissions for mortgaging or leasing parts of lots

Contact the appropriate municipality

Our seven member municipalities each have consent-granting authority for their areas. Contact the appropriate municipality if you require a consent application. We review some consent applications for the member municipalities.

Review fee


Zoning by-law amendments

Our seven member municipalities each have their own zoning by-law. Zoning by-laws control the use of land and often include land use restrictions (permitted uses) and technical provisions (setbacks, lot size requirements, etc.).

Amendment to a zoning by-law

If you require a zoning by-law amendment, contact the appropriate municipality. You may require an amendment to a zoning by-law if your proposal doesn't meet the permitted uses outlined in the existing by-law. We review some zoning amendment applications for the member municipalities.

Review fee

$250 to $500

Minor variance

A minor variance is a minor adjustment to a municipal zoning by-law. Contact the appropriate member municipality if you require a minor variance application. We review some minor variance applications for the member municipalities.

Review fee


Site plan

Member municipalities use site plan control to ensure a development meets the official plan policies, zoning by-laws and design guidelines. Site plans detail how a property will be developed. We review some site plan applications for the member municipalities.

Contact the appropriate member municipality if you require site plan approval.

Review fee


Countywide development charges background study

On January 29, 2020, County Council received the Northumberland County Development Charge Background Study Draft Findings. On February 14, 2020, the background study was made available online, and copies of the proposed D.C. by-law and the background study were made available from the County Clerk at 555 Courthouse Road, Cobourg.

2020 Development Charges Background Study

Virtual Public Meeting

On Thursday, June 18, 2020,  Northumberland County Council will hold a virtual public meeting, pursuant to the Development Charges Act, to present and obtain public input on the County’s proposed development charges by-law and underlying background study.

Event details

Area-Specific Development Charge for Cobourg East

Current area-specific development charge for Cobourg East community

Northumberland County Council passed an area-specific Development Charges By-Law No. 2018-23 affecting the Cobourg East community on June 20, 2018 under section 2(1) of the Development Charges Act, 1997, S.O., 1997 c.27.

Current development charges for Cobourg East

The current development charges for Cobourg East community area roads and related services as of July 3, 2019 are as follows:

Single and semi-detached dwelling: 1,945

Multiples and apartments (two or more bedrooms): 1,360

Multiples and apartments (bachelor and one bedroom): 999

Special care/special dwelling units: 899

Non-residential (per square feet of gross floor area): 0.89

Learn more